The University of California's fundamental missions are teaching, research, and public service. The mission of the Office of Research is to support and enhance the creative and scholarly activities of UCI faculty.
Lead by the Vice Chancellor for Research and his Senior Leadership team, the Office of Research (OR) works with other campus units to foster an environment for research and artistic activity that facilitates the discovery and dissemination of knowledge in many forms to all levels of society.
OR provides central campus administrative support for UCI’s research programs. It includes the Office of Research Administration (ORA), University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR), Research Development, Administrative Operations and Planning, and the Office of the Vice Chancellor. Each of these units contributes to the overall objective of facilitating campus research activities in a variety of ways.
- Research Administration consists of Sponsored Projects, Research Protections, Conflict of Interest, and Export Control. Research Administration is the office of record for extramural proposals and awards supporting research, education and public service activities of UCI faculty, staff and students. Research Administration staff members are expert resources for policy and program information and act as administrative contacts with external regulatory agencies, higher education organizations and professional societies, and other universities to discuss regulatory changes, institutional policy developments and overall awareness of regulatory requirements and enhancements.
- University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) manages the housing, feeding and care of all research animals housed in UCI facilities. It fulfills four main functions: veterinary services, animal husbandry, oversight of the Transgenic Mouse Facility, and business and purchasing administration.
- Research Development provides coordination and support in the development of research grant proposals to federal and state government agencies and corporate and foundation entities, with an emphasis on major multi-investigator and inter-disciplinary efforts.
- Administrative Operations and Planning provides administrative and network and computing support to OR’s core administrative units as well as over 30 Organized Research Units and Special Research Programs that report to OR.
- The Office of the Vice Chancellor supports and coordinates the activities of the Vice Chancellor and the Associate Vice Chancellor, and represents OR in interfacing with campus management and the academic units.