University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) is committed to providing a top quality animal care program that promotes integrity and excellence in research and teaching in the biological and medical sciences. UCI's animal care and use program is accreditated by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALACi).
ULAR's mission is to:
- Provide high quality, humane husbandry and veterinary services for all vertebrate animals in order to facilitate UC Irvine's research and teaching goals.
- Assist UCI personnel with issues related to responsible care and use of laboratory animals.
- Provide training and technical support to UCI's research and teaching community.
- Support the University in maintaining compliance with state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to the use of animals for teaching and research.
- Meet or exceed the standards of the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALACi), a private organization that evaluates animal care and use programs.